KMines

KMines is another game offered by KDE. Beneath the square boxes are hidden mines. The object of the game is to locate all the mines as quickly as possible without uncovering any of them. If you uncover a mine, you lose the game. Simply put, it is a step above Minesweeper (for Windows, if you have played that already).

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in KDE. Tags: , . Leave a Comment »

KGoldRunner

KGoldRunner is the best game for me offered by KDE. It offers very good gameplay (tests your reflexes, your brain and sometimes even your patience), coupled with very good default theme complemented by a few more good themes.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted in KDE. Tags: , . 10 Comments »

Installing KDE on Windows

Installing KDE on Windows is a simple process, just download and run the KDE for Windows Installer and follow the instructions.

Here is a to-the-point visual guide…

Read the rest of this entry »

KDE on Windows

kde_konqi_08_01KDE is an international technology team that creates Free Software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE’s products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia, entertainment, educational, graphics and software development. KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with ease of use and modern accessibility principles in mind. KDE4’s full-featured applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X. More…

KDE on Windows Project is aimed at native porting of the KDE applications to MS Windows. I’m very much interested in it as I have to use Windows in the office, and this will let me use my favourite KDE application at office as well.

Though many applications are available even now, the project still is in early stages and you are likely to face some issues. But I have found KDE games very stable on Windows. The Project hosts not 1, 2, 5, or 10 but a lot of 30 games from different genres. The great part of the KDE games is that they  are themed using Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) implying that you can resize the game window and the game’s graphics will resize accordingly and still look spot on.

In the following posts I will guide you to install KDE games on Windows and introduce you to some of my favourite games in the pack.

Sources: http://www.kde.org/, http://windows.kde.org/

Sony Ericsson W580i v/s ID3 tags

I have a Sony Ericsson W580i mobile phone. I was having problem with it right from the day I purchased it (around 5 months ago); err… actually no problem with the phone, the problem was with the Walkman player found on the phone (I’m very much satisfied with the phone otherwise).

The phone’s Walkman player software was just not properly reading the tags of the mp3 files I copied to it, though it was working well for some of the mp3 files. Just to make sure that the problem was indeed related to the Walkman player, I installed KDPlayer and found that it was correctly reading/displaying tags. The problem was not so critical, so I just lived with it (and somewhere in my mind hoping to somehow resolve the matter or take it up with relevant people).

Last week I made-up my mind to do something about the problem. Since I used Amarok (yes, I mostly use Linux/openSUSE at home) for transferring media files, I contacted taglib (library used by Amarok for reading/writing tags) developers and filed a bug report giving one copy of file from which tags were read correctly and other from which tags were not read correctly. They were very quick to respond and pointed out that the file which was working properly was using ‘Latin-1’ encoding and the other file was using ‘UTF-8’ encoding for tags.

In short, the Walkman player was having problem with UTF-8. I had two options then, 1) to ask Sony Ericsson to do the needful, 2) fix media files on my computer to work properly with my mobile. Second option seemed better to me. On the taglib mailing list itself I came to know about eyeD3, an easy to use “Python module and program for processing ID3 tags”.

This command was enough for the task: –

eyeD3 –set-encoding=latin1 –force-update file

But I had to run it for every file, so I had to use shell scripts, and with little bit of shell-programming knowledge I had, (not willing to learn anything more) I came with this: –

#!/bin/bash
handle_sd(){
cd “$1”
for i in *; do
if test -d “$i”
then
handle_sd “$i”
cd ..
fi
done
for i in *.mp3; do
if test -f “$i”
then
eyeD3 –set-encoding=latin1 –force-update -v “$i”
fi
done
return
}
handle_sd .

Now, I’m happy that the Walkman player is working good at least for me, but I have to run the script (from the root directly of my whole music collection) before I transfer fresh tracks to my phone because even when I edit the tags (on computer, obviously) they are saved in UTF-8 encoding format.

It would have been better had I contacted Sony Ericsson to fix the phone’s software (and eventually help other affected people also). So, I plan to raise this issue with them within a week or so and see how they respond.